Innovation is about two sides of the coin, risk and opportunity. You need risk and opportunity in different measures. We often like to call this the "yin and yang" of innovation.
Some thoughts as you look at risk and opportunity for innovation to consider:
1. Recognize each side of the 'coin' enables better decisions
2. You seize better opportunities with confidence by balancing these two
3. Recognition means you allocate money more wisely
4. You achieve better deliver on an improving scale
5. You anticipate problems far earlier
A quote "We cannot eliminate risk, we have to live with it and manage it (Blair 2004)
Finally we should celebrate the opportunities that risk and innovation can generate, we must constantly 'shine' both sides of the coin.
Here is our view of risk and opportunity within a broader context for innovation